To receive alerts and information for Pine Valley and the surrounding area, send your email address to Steve Fiedler.
VACATION CHECK-OFF LIST – Brought to you by Anthony J. (Tony) Palermo CCPS of the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office.
As winter turns to spring we start thinking about vacation time. Take the time to review the list and remember that your security check just takes 10 minutes.
- Lock all doors, including the garage door.
- Lock all windows, including basement and garage windows.
- Cancel all deliveries such as newspaper, food services, etc.
- Have mail and newspapers picked up by a neighbor if possible.
- Have someone pick up handbills and throw-a-ways.
- Never leave a note on the door that may indicate your absence.
- Arrange to have the lawn cut or the snow shoveled.
- Adjust blinds to make the house/apartment appear to be occupied.
- Place a light or two on automatic timers.
- Remove ladders from sight and secure them in locked places.
- Don’t hide keys under doormats or flowerpots or in similar places.
- Secure items such as jewelry, furs, cameras, credit cards, and checkbooks.
- Arrange for a house-sitter, someone to live in your house while you are away, if possible.
- Arrange for a neighbor to keep an eye on your property and to report anything suspicious to police.
- Let a neighbor know where you can be reached in case of an emergency.
- Arrange with a neighbor to leave his or her car parked in your driveway or in front of your house or apartment.
- Join and be part of your Neighborhood Watch Group.
- Lower the tone on your telephone.
- Ask neighbors not to tell strangers such as salespersons and repair persons of your absence.
- Notify your local law-enforcement agency of your absence. 928-771-3260 and schedule a vacation check while you’re away.